Tuesday 19 June 2012

Top 10 Nail Polishes For Summer

I never used to get nail polishes. I think it might have something to do with the fact my nail's are so weak and flakey; nail polish never seemed to stick around for longer than 5 minutes before becoming a chipped mess so the desire to bother just wasnt there. I really cannot explain how this has happened, and for my bank balances well being I seriously wish it hadnt, but the last 6 months have seen me develop an obscene collection of nail varnishes and I have turned into some kind of nail painting MACHINE. Anyway, it's happened and im just going to have to accept that im destined to be poor forever; here are my top 10 nail polishes for these beautiful summer months. (I hope you could detect the sarcasm there).



(L-R Models' Own 'Peaches & Cream', Nails Inc 'Albert Place', Essie 'Splash of Grenadine', Topshop 'Naked', Ciate 'Jelly Bean', Rimmel Lycra Pro 'Ultraviolet', Chanel 'Distraction', Essie 'Mint Candy Apple', Nails Inc 'Brompton Place', OPI 'Ogre the Top Blue')

1) Models' Own 'Peaches & Cream' - All my friends know, and im sure over time you will too, that I have a serious love affair with orange. I love orange lipsticks, orange nail polish and ive even been known to rock an orange tan once in a while. Peaches and Cream is a stunning pastel orange which is as you would expect, very peachy. The polish applies smoothly and only takes 2 coats to be opaque, which I have found to be the case with all Models' Own polishes I have tried.

2) Nails Inc 'Albert Place' - Albert Place is the perfect blue nail polish. It is a pastel cornflower shade which is miraculously opaque in just one coat (Although I tend to apply 2 for longevity). Possibly the creamiest formula of nail polish I own and somehow manages to be both bright and muted at the same time; perfect if like me, you're not used to dabbling in a bold hue.

3) Essie 'Splash of Grenadine' - This is a really unique colour, somewhere between a barbie pink and a lilac and perfect for enhancing a tan. What I also love about this polish, and infact Essie polishes in general, is they are now available in Boots and Superdrug so they are ALOT easier to get hold of in the UK.

4) Topshop 'Naked' - This is a sandy coloured nude, very yellow based and is easy to wear toned down with neutral clothing or perfect to pair with a brighter outfit to avoid it being OTT. A very affordable nail polish brand and very smooth to apply.

5) Ciate 'Jelly Bean' - As mentioned in my 'Everyone Loves a Freebie' post, this is available free with this month's Marie Claire magazine. As far as I know, this shade, and the other two available, are exclusive to Marie Claire so I would 100% recommend running out and picking one (or all 3!) up. I think the most obvious thing I can say about this polish is that the bottle is just STUNNING and looks so cute sat in my collection. The shade is a vibrant fuschia pink with a very subtle blue shimmer and is opaque in just 2 coats.

6) Rimmel Lycra Pro 'Ultraviolet' - This is the cheapest polish in my top 10, retailing at just £4.59, but it is easily my favourite for application. The wide brush covers the nail in just one stroke and this is the perfect pastel purple for the summer months. The finish is smooth and shiny and pretty long lasting on the nails.

7) Chanel 'Distraction' - This is the most pricey of my nail polishes but I will say the quality of it is second to none. It is SO creamy and the colour is perfect for me, an orange based coral. The bottle is gorgeous as you would expect from a brand like Chanel and I cant rate this polish highly enough for summer.

8) Essie 'Mint Candy Apple' - Probably the most blogged about nail polish of the moment, I was reluctant to buy this at first because I find things never seem to live up to the hype for me. However this isnt the case and Mint Candy Apple is the perfect pastel mint. It's quite a bluey mint which I prefer to a polish with too much green as I think its a lot easier to wear whatever your skin tone.

9) Nails Inc 'Brompton Place' - This is the definition of barbie pink and is very Nicki Minaj! As with all the other Nails Inc polishes ive tried, the formula is very creamy and opaque and this is the perfect pink for summer.

10) OPI 'Ogre the Top Blue' - This isn't a colour id usually go for as im not a big bright's fan, im quite boring when it comes to polish really, Im not a big fan of glitter or shimmer or duo chrome or any of that jazz! This is such a beautiful vibrant blue though and I just couldn't resist adding it to my collection. OPI are probably my favourite nail polish brand as I find the quality and colour range superior to most other's and this blue definately doesn't disappoint. 

Im a bit sad and love looking at nail polish swatches online, so what are your favourites?


Becca.x

2 comments:

  1. So if I were to pick ONE favourite polish it would be....Okay so that is an impossible question for me because I adore them all!!! I also have the Rimmel -Ultraviolet polish which I actually used in my Aztec nails post! I lovee the colour, but I do find it to be a little thin though. The thick brush applicator is the bomb though.

    Love your blog already, looks like the start of something amazing! Can't wait for some more posts!!

    obsessionlacquer.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ill have a look at your Aztec nail post, wish I was more adventurous with designs! And thankyou so much thats really nice to hear you like it :) x

      Delete